NFS is not a session-layer protocol. Cisco said it was in some early
courseware and the mistake has lived on. The mistake is still in some CCNA
and Cisco Networking Academy materials, I think, but it's wrong.

NFS is clearly an application-layer protocol. It uses XDR at the
presentation layer. It runs above RPC which is a session-layer protocol.
RPC runs above UDP, which runs above IP. Here was a perfect chance to show
an actual 7-layer protocol stack and Cisco blew it! ;-)

NetBIOS is a session-layer protocol, as I said in the message. Did you read
it?

SQL does application-layer stuff, like reading from databases. In an Oracle
environment, it uses the Transparent Network Substrate (TNS) which has
session-layer-like behavior. TNS can run above a variety of protocol
stacks, including TCP/IP, IPX, etc. Cisco texts ignore TNS. I think they
call SQL a session-layer protocol.

Priscilla

At 06:15 PM 12/7/01, anil wrote:
> >The session layer is an elusive beast that is not implemented much
>Wait a sec, I thought SQL, NFS and netbios were session layer protocols?
>Someone please correct me.
>-Anil

"Remember
> >that none of the upper
> >layers know anything about networking or network addresses." I am
wondering
> >if the session layer doesn't
> >use network address, how can it establish a dialogue with other session
> >layer in other host?
>
>I would probably disagree with Todd's statement, although it's taken out of
>context and you haven't given us enough information to say that the
>statement is definitely "wrong."
>
>However, try to picture the numerous OSI pictures you have seen. Most of
>them show horizontal lines between a layer on one host talking to the same
>layer on another host. So the session layer talks to the session layer on
>the other host. That's probably what Todd was getting at.
>
>However, the pictures also show vertical lines. A layer calls on a layer
>below to provide services. Each layer offers services to layers above it.
>
>The session layer is an elusive beast that is not implemented much. But one
>example might help. NetBIOS is a session layer. On a Windows client, when
>you access a Server Message Block (SMB) server, NetBIOS has the job of
>setting up a session with the server. Before it can do that, however, it
>must find the address of the server. If it's a modern Windows network, then
>SMB and NetBIOS are probably running above TCP/IP and UDP/IP. So NetBIOS
>sends a DNS or WINS query to find the IP address of the named server. It
>then sets up a NetBIOS session with the server. Actually, first, the client
>sets up a TCP connection. TCP has port numbers. The client sends to the
>well-known TCP port for NetBIOS session (139) and use an ephemeral port on
>its side. These port numbers could be considered "addresses" at the
>transport layer.
>
>Anyway, back to the question. The statement is at best over-simplified. I
>recommend you get yourself a sniffer and watch what really happens between
>layers. (Ethereal is free by the way.)
>
>Priscilla
>

> >Thank you for your time.
> >
> >mlh