Yup, it is retiring.  First, they retired the WAN CCIE and now, they
have finished off the rest.

Not sure how valuable this cert really is now days.

As far as replacement, not really sure if they will really come out with
anything to replace it.

The new C/S CCIE's written portion can be taken with the WAN switching
option from what I hear.  I think 50% of the test is
general and is the same and the last 50% can be chosen among many
different options and WAN switching is supposed to be one of them.

Still, in the lab, no WAN switching equipment.  just routers and
lan switches.

Paul