On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Jagan Krishnaraj wrote:

> One Telco service provider claims that they are using MPLS (Cisco Powered
> Network) at his back bone, which enable substantial saving to the clients.
> All the remote sites are able to connect to the central site via the
service
> provider's MPLS cloud. Each remote site site is connected to the MPLS cloud
> directly and the central site is connected to the MPLS cloud via a huge
pipe.

> I've the following concerns which need your advise:

>From the client perspective a MPLS VPN will look similar to using
frame relay (From a cost perspective ATM/Frame is a good reference
as well) . Think of the MPLS VPN as a virtual network running
on top of the service providers network. Unlike frame relay the
VPN can not reach beyond the providers network (technically it
is possible but I have not heard of any providers offering this
at this point) which may or may not be a concern depending on
the provider and the locations you need to connect.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/mpls/

> scaleable

Depends on who you listen to:) From the client perspective adding
additional sites and increasing bandwith should not be an issue.

> reliable

Will be as reliable as the circuits/provider.

> secure

Although your traffic shouldn't be visible to the providers other
customers it is not encrypted by the service provider. If you are
concerned about security, encryption would be appropriate.

> flexibility

Adding/revoving remote sites and changing bandwith should not
be a problem...

> Do you know of any service provider providing similar services?

There are a number of providers that indicate they are running
MPLS at this point depending on where you are. (ATT, C&W, etc.)