To be perfectly honest, I have been burned so many times by NOT
having the subnets keyword that I always use it when classful
protocols are involved.  The only case I can see where it might cause
problems are during especially messy conversions with multiple
classful protocols running, AND being forbidden (as in the CCIE lab)
to use static blackhole routes.

Indeed, one major conversion design I did started with 2500+ routers,
not all Cisco, running a mixture of IGRP and RIP, with the intention
of moving the whole mess to OSPF.  Ironically, only about 400 of the
routers actually needed dynamic routing anyway.  The remainder were
edge routers that only needed static or floating static routes for
default.  Another reminder of the recent statement by a CCIE program
manager that the CCIE exam is not a design exam, and it's important
to do what they ask, not what is the best current practice.