The RSP7000 contains the following components:
A bank of hardware (Media Access Control [MAC]-layer) addresses for the
interface ports
sniped from:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7000/7000_him/7000po
vr.htm#xtocid1950512

I can't find proof - but suspect that Dave is thinking of the 7507 which can
have two RSPs. Associating the MAC addresses with the chassis makes sense in
that case.

So it appears that we are back to Paul's original question. BTW is the chip
in question soldered on the circuit board? My thought is that if it is
removable then one could be sent to Paul to copy.

 I've recently installed an RSP7000 upgrade kit into an
 older 7000-series router. It appears that the EEPROM that maintains the MAC
address table for this unit has gone south. The  archives mentioned that the
RSP7000 would need to be replaced. Is there an easier way?
 I have access to EEPROM programming equipment.. could this be easily
rectified on my own?
 Paul Lalonde