The Reason I think the 7000 is the same is back when they first came
out in 95 I had installed one.  One of the ethernet IP cards went bad.
Got a replacement and I installed it.  I then noticed the MAC was the
same which thru me off and I thought I reinstalled the wrong card, put
the original card back in, same MACs.  I then learned, after digging,
that the MACs were derived from a chip on the backplane.  Don't have a
URL to prove anything though just my memory which can be hit or miss;)

  Dave

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7000/7000_him/7000po
> vr.htm#xtocid1950512
>
> I can't find proof - but suspect that Dave is thinking of the 7507 which
can
> have two RSPs. Associating the MAC addresses with the chassis makes sense
in
> that case.
>
> So it appears that we are back to Paul's original question. BTW is the chip
> in question soldered on the circuit board? My thought is that if it is
> removable then one could be sent to Paul to copy.

MAC
--
David Madland
Sr. Network Engineer

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"