John,

Technologically speaking, IS-IS would probably be very well suited to
such an environment, but more often than not, IS-IS only hits on two
of the three criteria I most base a selection on:

1.    Topology - Good Fit.  Unlike OSPF, IS-IS isn't limited to a
two-tier hierarchy, nor is there a need for a single "core".  This
flexibility can carry you a long way.

2.    Design Goals - Good Fit.  No question that you'll get good route
selection, and "most direct" traffic flows, considering roughly equal
amounts of traffic between each of the satellite locations, and the
three main locations.

3.    Supportable - ??? - This is usually the "Gotcha" that takes
IS-IS out of the running in selecting a routing protocol.  Like you
mentioned, there just aren't a whole lot of people with a good deal of
IS-IS experience, and those that have it are typically working in Big
ISP environments, not "Corporate" networks.

If this were for my own network, yeah, I could probably go with IS-IS
and lead a happy life...  As fate would have it, I design, deploy, and
troubleshoot networks for other people (I'm a consultant).  When I
mention IS-IS to my cleints, they think I am referring to a goddess
from the ancient Egyptian pantheon, or the kids TV show that ran
parallel to Captain Marvel during the '70s (I loved his cape...
Looked like it was made from Paper Towels).  They don't know that
there's a routing protocol of the same name.

In Europe, perhaps there is a greater awareness of IS-IS in non-ISP
environments, but in here in the US, it continues to languish for the
most part as "The Undiscovered Protocol."

Alan~