From: Steven A. Ridder [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 2:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mask in L3 Packet [7:29182]

Say I have 2 networks:

Network 1.  172.16.x.x/16
and
Network 2.  172.16.2.x/24

We all agree that they are two different networks, right?

Now if Host A on
Network 1 is 172.16.2.1/16

and

Host B is on Network 2 is 172.16.2.1/24,

How does the host know that the second host is on a different network?  Are
they differnt addresses because of the mask, or are they considered the same
address regardless of mask, and therefore illegal?  I understand ANDing on
the local host.  It's just if 2 hosts had the same numbers, only marked
differently by the mask, are they the same or not?