>Steve,
>
>According to RFC-791 (ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc791.txt), all that is
>contained in the IP header with respect to addresses is the source address
>and the destination address, both 32 bit fields.  The routers have the task
>of figuring out where to send things based on the routing tables.
>
>When you do a 'show ip route' on your routers, you can find the mask.

Or ask the Lone Ranger. "Who was that masked man?"

At a more serious level, masks are transmitted only in classless
routing protocols (or in special cases such as DHCP). Classful
routing protocols either assume "natural masks" of /8, /16, or /24,
or obtain masks from local configuration information.

>Quick tip:
>You don't need any drugs for sleeping.  Just read some of the RFCs.  :-)
>
>Ken

If you consider RFCs sedating, try ISO documents if you are in search
of surgical anesthesia.

Actually, some RFCs, besides the April 1 specials, are quite decently
written. The RIP document is very much worthwhile for beginners at
routing.  I usually try to sneak a little humor into mine.