Hi all.

Im studying for the CCNP-Switching exam. I have a question about MLS's Flow
Masks. In my CiscoPress book, the author says:

"The MLS-SE uses flow masks modes to determine how packets are compared to
MLE entries in the MLS cache.The flow mask mode is based on the access list
configured on the MLS router interfaces. The MLS-SE learns of the flow mask
trough MLSP messages from each MLS-RP for wich the MLS-SE is performing
Layer 3 switching. "

I dont understand why the flow mask mode is based on the access list
configured, since all the 3 flow mask modes just look at the DESTINATION IP
address. So, if the MLS-RP has an access list that deny some traffic, that
traffic just will be forwarded and never will arrive at the switch's
backpanel. If the MLS-RP has an access list that permit the traffic, the
MLS-SE will cache it and it will only chek the Destination address for Layer
3 switching.

So, why are flow mask modes based on the configured access list?

Thanks for your help.