Not sure why you think it only uses the destination, so I may be answering
the wrong question.
The three flow mask modes are dependant on the type of access list and do
not all rely solely on the destination address:

a.. destination-ip-The least-specific flow mask. The PFC maintains one MLS
entry for each destination IP address. All flows to a given destination IP
address use this MLS entry.

a.. source-destination-ip-The PFC maintains one MLS entry for each source
and destination IP address pair. All flows between a given source and
destination use this MLS entry regardless of the IP protocol interfaces.

a.. ip-flow-The most-specific flow mask. The PFC creates and maintains a
separate MLS cache entry for each IP flow. An ip-flow entry includes the
source IP address, destination IP address, protocol, and protocol
interfaces.

URL for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/ios127xe/config/
mls.htm#xtocid60053

Regards,

Gaz

""Sergio""  wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> Im studying for the CCNP-Switching exam. I have a question about MLS's
Flow
> Masks. In my CiscoPress book, the author says:
>
> "The MLS-SE uses flow masks modes to determine how packets are compared to
> MLE entries in the MLS cache.The flow mask mode is based on the access
list
> configured on the MLS router interfaces. The MLS-SE learns of the flow
mask
> trough MLSP messages from each MLS-RP for wich the MLS-SE is performing
> Layer 3 switching. "
>
> I dont understand why the flow mask mode is based on the access list
> configured, since all the 3 flow mask modes just look at the DESTINATION
IP
> address. So, if the MLS-RP has an access list that deny some traffic, that
> traffic just will be forwarded and never will arrive at the switch's
> backpanel. If the MLS-RP has an access list that permit the traffic, the
> MLS-SE will cache it and it will only chek the Destination address for
Layer