It's hard to understand what PIM is, or is not, doing without
seeing full configuration files and show commands for both
routers.  You have only listed partial commands, which will not
fully disclose your PIM configurations.  There are several
little gotchas in working with Protocol Independent Multicast
(PIM) on Cisco routers.  One of the first questions I would ask
is what kind of RP have you established, or are you using auto-
rp (the preferred method IMHO).  The next thing I would
probably check is what does the multicast routing table look
like once you have enabled PIM?  Do a "show ip mroute" to see
what is happening.  While just guessing due to lack of a
complete picture, it is possible that PIM has been broken due
to a lack on an RP.  If that is the case, it might affect other
multicast enabled protocols, such as OSPF and HSRP.

If you just wish to get multiucast up and running, try dense
mode first.  Once that is running properly, then try to get
sparse mode up and running.  I would focus my energies on using
Auto-RP, which I have found much more reliable and easier to
troubleshoot than static RPs.  It also tends to be more
scalable.

Finally, you may want to take a peek at this article and focus
on the PIM/HSRP interactions.  It may or may not apply to your
situation(watch wrap):

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/619/hsrpmcast.html

Try this link for configurations of static and auto-rp's:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/tech/rppim_rg.htm

Here's also a good page to checkout:

Note Cisco's recommendation on the first paragraph under Dense
Mode:

"Dense Mode

Cisco recommends using Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM)
sparse mode, particularly Auto-RP, wherever possible,
especially for new deployments. "

The advice listed above comes directly from Beau Williamson
himself.  If you want a good book on multicasting and PIM, you
need to read Beau Williamson's book.  You might also want to
bookmark the main Multicast homepage on Cisco Engineering FTP
web site here:

ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ipmulticast/index.html

HTH,

Paul Werner

> Hi there!
>
> Well, where should I start...The problem kept on going for
the whole day
> yesterday (didn't matter if I did reloads of routers) and as
I came back
> today it was gone... I've tried to get it again but without
success (no
> change whatsoever of configs except remove/add of ip pim
> sparse-dense-mode).
> Anyway a similar problem has appeared between two other
routers which a
> collegue of mine also has noticed (and can't solve), so let's
take the
> new
> problem instead since it's quite similar.
>
> OSPF - PIM - HSRP kills OSPF adjacency!
>
> When we activate PIM on an ethernet-interface the OSPF
adjacency goes to
> stuck in INIT on one side and disappears completly on the
other side.
> One
> can either solve it by removing HSRP or removing PIM, but
with all three
> active on the same segment OSPF is dead.
> We have tried diffrent hardware-platforms (1700 & 2500) and
12.1, 12.2
> IOS-versions, the same results.
>
> Here's the configs;
>
> hostname wg3r2
> interface FastEthernet0
>  ip address 10.3.2.34 255.255.255.224
>  ip pim sparse-dense-mode
>  ip ospf priority 2
>  standby ip 10.3.2.35
>  standby priority 100
>  standby preempt
> router ospf 1
>  passive-interface default
>  no passive-interface FastEthernet0
>  network 10.3.2.32 0.0.0.31 area 0
>
> hostname wg3r3
> interface FastEthernet0
>  ip address 10.3.2.33 255.255.255.224
>  ip pim sparse-dense-mode
>  standby ip 10.3.2.35
>  standby priority 110
>  standby preempt
>  standby track Serial0 15
> router ospf 1
>  passive-interface default
>  no passive-interface FastEthernet0
>  network 10.3.2.32 0.0.0.31 area 0
>

> wg3r2#show ip ospf nei
> Neighbor ID     Pri   State           Dead Time
Address
> Interface
> 10.3.1.3         1   INIT/DROTHER    00:00:37     10.3.2.33
> FastEthernet0
> wg3r2#
>
> wg3r3#show ip ospf nei
> Neighbor ID     Pri   State           Dead Time
Address
> Interface
> wg3r3#
>
> If I debug ip ospf hello I can see that wg3r2 is recieving
hello's, but
> wg3r3 doesn't see any from wg3r2, weird or what ? I've
checked for bugs
> in
> the bug-tracker, but none matches it...
>
> Greetings, Peter