Paul,

Peter is running sparse-dense so any mcast group without a configure RP will
be handled using dense mode.

Also we have I dentified that not only PIM is involved hear, OSPF and HSRP
also fails when all three are configured.

Peter,

Assuming the routers have enough resource, check by looking at CPU
utilisation and mem allocation ewhen problem occurs, I think you should log
this on CCO and see what Cisco say.

I have seen something a little similar on a 6509 running 12.2 IOS.  It was
also running HSRP , PIM Sparse-dense and OSPF, although the VLANs running
HSRP were passive OSPF interfaces.  The OSPF adjacencies just timed out but
it appeared to still be sending and receiving hello's.  It only happened
once during a 3 month acceptance test, we were unable to replicate it so
took it no further.

Please post any resolution,

RB.