I'd suggest a 4500M or better if you want something in that series. It
supports some newer modules. Not sure if it supports IOS images that the
4000 cannot. Comments from the list requested.

Consider something in the 2520-23 range for multiple serial ports. The 20
and 22 have one Ethernet port. The 21 and 23 have one Token Ring port. All
have an ISDN BRI S/T port. All have two fast serial ports (up to 2Mbs). The
20 and 21 have two low-speed async/sync serial ports (up to 115 kbs). The 22
and 23 have eight low-speed serial ports. All serial ports are standard 60
pin. You could even configure the low speed ports as async and use them for
a terminal server. (Yes, you have to mate a console cable to an RS-232 to 60
pin serial cable.)

Instead of 2501s spend just a little more to get additional ports. 2503 adds
an ISDN BRI S/T port. 2513 adds a Token Ring port. 2509/11 adds async ports.

For a "set command" based Catalyst switch the lowest price would be a 2901.
It maxes out at OS 4.5(x).

Tell all your friends that you are looking for Cisco gear. Sometimes a
company goes out of business and sells their equipment at a low price. It's
good to be the buyer.

If you find a stack of 3900/3920 Token Ring switches for $100 each - let me
know.