For furture reference, once you enable CBAC on an interface, it MONITORS
traffic in both directions.

As for the SMTP thing, you remove ip inspect from the interface, and you can
telnet into the server at port 25?  Do I have that right?  You SURE you
removed it?  Cause if you can get in via 25 via telnet, you're in.  Only
CBAC would block it if you tried to login into the server, or some other
ESMTP command, and that's only if it was on.  You sure the server isn't bad?