One way to think of it is as follows:

Subnet Masks are for getting packets out of networks, not into them.

"Symon Thurlow" @groupstudy.com on 12/20/2001
07:56:06 PM

Please respond to "Symon Thurlow"

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:    (bcc: Kevin Cullimore)
Subject:  Re: Mask in L3 Packet [7:29182]

If you think about this logically, every IP address in your networkor
the Internet is unique, regardless of mask, so why send the mask? The
mask only becomes relevant locally.

Symon
-------------------
> In the local configuration of every device.
>
> Priscilla
>
> At 08:07 AM 12/20/01, steve skinner wrote:
> >go on then pris......
> >
> >you have wetted my appetite ....where is the the subnet mask kept
if it isnt
> >in the ip packet ?????
> >

> > >From: "Priscilla Oppenheimer"
> > >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >Subject: Re: Mask in L3 Packet [7:29182]
> > >Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:42:36 -0500
> > >
> > >From its own local config. The mask isn't in the IP packet, which
does
> > >come as a surpise to some people! If this isn't what you're
getting at,
> > >just let us know.......
> > >
> > >Priscilla

> different
> > >info
> ________________________
>
> Priscilla Oppenheimer
> http://www.priscilla.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cheers,

Symon
information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.