Nick S. wrote:
> In Tacacs+ only the body of the packet is encrypted (not the
> header). And the Interfaces supported by FastEtherchannel can
> be from 2 to 8 (so 6 is correct) but Etherchannel offers its
> own failover mechanism whereby failure of one or more channel
> doesnt bring the whole etherchannel down, but it works at a
> reduced capacity, so HSRP is NOT an option.

Do you have some good links to info about the inner workings of TACACS+?
I'd like to read more about exactly how it works.

As far as the HSRP, I guess at this point we need to be clear about what we
mean when we say "Etherchannel supporting HSRP".  Etherchannel does have
it's own failover mechanism, so using HSRP between channels in a bundle is
not possible nor needed.  However, you could have, for instance, multiple
etherchannel bundles and run HSRP between them as if they were standard
interfaces.

The Kid wrote:
>Sure enough, I just looked it up and it does support up to 8 ports.
>I don't know where I was getting 4 from. Maybe an older IOS version
>or something. Thanks for pointing that out.

Some line cards and devices only support up to 4 channels in a bundle.  If
I'm not mistaken, the Cat5000/5500 only supports up to 4 channels in a
bundle.  I don't know if this is a line-card or Sup limitation.  However,
from the document I referred to earlier, it seems some hardware supports up
to 8 channels and some doesn't.

Mike W.