>Juniper needs to help people become familiar with their hardware and
>software without having to pay 10-20K per router.  The olive was the
>only way I know of to help people who don't have corporate sponsorship
>gain access to the Juniper CLI.  Cisco has many low end routers which
>you can run BGP, etc on to gain experience that are in the 500-1000
>dollar range.  It would be in Junipers best interests to make it easier
>for someone of meager means to gain access to either Juniper hardware or
>another method like the olive or I predict that they will be shooting
>themselves in the foot and never gain a good foothold in the market.
>Kind of like the way Apple does with their proprietary and expensive
>hardware and IBM did with the MCA bus and Token ring, etc.
>
>I'm not saying that Juniper should give their hardware or software away
>but it would make sense for them to make it easier to gain access to the
>CLI.
>
>L8r.

The situation is very different from Apple, etc., because Juniper is
not aiming at a broad marketplace.  I can quite easily imagine that
they do not have an incentive for people to self-study on their
equipment.  They are quite successful in the focused market niche
they have picked. Independent figures from about nine months ago
projected Juniper would, pass Cisco in the carrier space sometime in
2002; I don't know if that is still true.

It may very well be that they have made a decision that they don't
want a certification that indicates someone knows their CLI, but
doesn't have a broad routing background--which simply can't be gotten
from hands-on alone.

I have been investigating setting up a carrier-oriented lab for Cisco
learning, and I have difficulty coming up with configurations that
don't involve five or six student-controlled routers, plus at least
six infrastructure BGP routers.  If I include being able to cope with
BGP errors, add a couple more UNIX boxes to that.  Additional
equipment is also necessary for properly emulating layer 2 exchange
points.