As an epilog to my recent e-mail warning about using the AUTO feature of
SPEED and/or DUPLEX settings on LAN interfaces, I would like to give you a
little extra information:

I looked at all the interfaces on my 3548 switch today, and found that the
interface that was connected to a 2620 and the interface that was connected
to a 2924 was both in 100 mbps half duplex detected by the auto feature.
This was the case even thought both the 2620 and the 2924 was manually set
to 100 mbps full duplex.

This was the case also on an interface connected to a 3COM 100 mbps HUB that
I have connected in a room as a test. The Cisco 3548 auto sence feature on
that interface had placed it in 100/half.

So, the lesson to learn here is that even though both devices are Cisco, you
cannot trust the auto sense feature. I will now go the slow but safe way,
and manually configure all my LAN interfaces on all my equipment.

So, place a big sticker on all your network equipment: "NO AUTO SETTINGS".

Hth,

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Ole Drews Jensen