Gaz wrote:
I think it is the lowest price router, but I suppose it depends what you
intend to do with it and what other equipment it will integrate with.
Could you make use of a layer 3 switch and save in the long run?
Is something like the 2948G-L3, or even the 4908G-L3 going to come close on
price once you add up the bits?

Gaz, here's the scenario:
We're planning on deploying a Gigabit MAN solution between 2 locations. And
as a result we're trying to figure out what devices to use for the telco
hand-off on both ends. Initially we thought it would be the typical
2600/3600 series router that supported a GigE interface that we use for
providing access. From poking around it looked as though this was only
possible starting with the 7200 series. The cost of this plus the $6k
sticker price for the router GigE modules would still justify the savings
from the overall MAN solution, but it is obviously overkill. We won't be
requiring the intelligence of a router for doing this either.

A small switch like a 29xx/35xxXL or like you had suggested, a 4000 series
with Layer 3 module would make more sense. And in the 2 hours of research
after I had posted this question, I had come to decide on just this.

What makes it confusing is a future project that involves building a core
to allow peering between the various WANs. We're still going to need a
decent router or two. Should I be taking out two problems at one time or
not? :)

Tony and Steven,

Thanks for the links. I hadn't seen those pages before. I happened to find
this after some searching. I have an outdated hard copy of the Cisco
Products Quick Reference Guide, but was able to find the latest online
version:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/752/qrg/guide.shtml
(requires CCO login)

Thank you for your replies.