So I guess frame-relay assumes a smart network/dumb host type situation?

The only other thing I saw was Fred's statement

"...None of these companies had much IP experience at the time, and it was
mostly X.25-experienced people working on it.  So the congestion issues
needed to be brought out.  I was working for a company that sold
connectionless networks, and we KNEW about congestion and the possibilities
of congestion collapse.  (Firsthand experience with congestion collapse in
the eary '80s was a very good learning experience.)..."

What does he mean when he speaks about "congestion collapse"?  Was this the
case in a "dumb" network where too many calls would just bring it down?  Did
this bring up the need to create fecn/becn as a sort of next-generation type
thing to correct the problems they may have experienced in previous type
networks?

Was there a parallel, but opposite school of thought in the TCP/IP networks
(I guess the Internet and ARPANET) of a smart host/dumb network where the
hosts and rotuters would handle congestion with TCP and ICMP source quench
messages and the such?  If I can assume that there were two schools of
thought, can I also assume that frame-relay with it's smart network/dumb
host model and tcp/ip's smart host, peer-to-peer network were never meant to
merge?

Also, what effect does becn/fecn (if implemented) have on TCP/IP's
windowing?  Any?  Should the two never be used together, or can they
co-exist peacefully if implemented right?

Sorry to ask all these questions, but this is like a history lesson to me
(IP was RFC'd in 1981, so I was 3 years old) and I learn best if I can get a
grasp on not only how things are done, but why.

--

RFC 1149 Compliant.