At 09:58 PM 1/8/02, Steven A. Ridder wrote:
>If I can assume that there were two schools of
>thought, can I also assume that frame-relay with its smart network/dumb
>host model and tcp/ip's smart host, peer-to-peer network were never meant to
>merge?

I think it would be over-stating it a bit to say they were never meant to
merge. ;-) TCP/IP has to run on top of something to be useful and Frame
Relay has to have something above it to be useful.

>Also, what effect does becn/fecn (if implemented) have on TCP/IP's
>windowing?  Any?  Should the two never be used together, or can they
>co-exist peacefully if implemented right?

In most cases TCP congestion control behaves independently of BECN and
FECN. I don't think Cisco routers even have a way to let TCP end hosts know
that BECN or FECN have been set, although there may be some advanced
features that handle this and/or interact with RED or something. Anyone
else know? Thanks.

>Sorry to ask all these questions, but this is like a history lesson to me
>(IP was RFC'd in 1981, so I was 3 years old) and I learn best if I can get a
>grasp on not only how things are done, but why.
>

>--
>
>RFC 1149 Compliant.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com