From: s vermill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 7:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Routing Exam 503 [7:31275]

The Cisco Press BSCN book is great.  I highly recommend it.  Do all of
the
labs if you can.

The Cert Guide, on the other hand, is outrageously full of errata.  And
when
I say errata, I don't just mean misprints (althought there are tons of
those
as well).  LSAs and aggregate addresses often are described as going in
the
wrong direction.  For example, if I understand the RFC correctly, OSPF
type
4 LSAs are generated by ABRs, sent into non-backbone areas, and describe
the
ASBRS that are available in the AS.  In the Cert Guide, type 4 LSAs are
sent
from the ABRs to ASBRs.  That is done, according to the Cert Guide, so
that
the ASBR can send info on summary networks into other routing domains.
So
on and so on.  Worst part of all is that the book is in its fourth
printing
and nothing has been done to fix it and there is no errata sheet on the
Cisco Press web site.

Having said all of that, the book is still borderline useful, but only
if
you already really know your stuff so you can see the many errors.

I also read the Exam Cram book.  It is a nice review but is very
top-level,
as you might expect.

By the way, it is a myth that COLT exams are gone.  I just tried one the
other day.