It was hot, too hot.  Our detective had been working feverishly to
configure OSPF over NBMA without the use of ip ospf network statements.
He knew that to do this he must explicitly add neighbor statements or
adjacencies would not form.

He logs into the hub router and types in his three neighbor statements.
 All seems well.  It's still too hot, but it's a dry heat.

He now logs into one of the spoke routers and types in his neighbor
statement.  He pauses momentarily and then checks the OSPF adjacencies.
Something seems to be wrong, he thinks to himself.  This ought to be
working, but it isn't.  Why not?  He looks through the running config to
look for any errors and notices the the neighbor statement that he just
entered is missing!

He slowly and deliberately types it in again making sure there are no
mistakes but yet it still does not show up in the running configuration.
 Is this an IOS issue?  Operator error?  Some rift in the space-time
continuum?

He jumps to another spoke router running a different IOS and tries the
same thing with the same result.  He is frantic now, beads of sweat
pouring down his face.  What if this were the real CCIE lab exam?  Could
this be a fatal stumbling block?

He finally notices that adjacencies do eventually form after clearing
the relevant interfaces.  This must be because the hub router accepted
the neighbor statements.  But what if it hadn't, he ponders.  He thinks
forward into the future when--a day after taking the lab exam--he
receives the dreaded email that says, "We're sorry, it is apparent that
you have no clue."

Back to the real world....

What was the cause of the missing neighbor statements?  Have any of you
run into this before?  I've never bothered to explicitly use neighbor
statements as I'm in the habit of using the ip ospf network command to
make them unnecessary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John