Hmmmm.... Not sure whether it's a good description or not. Reading through
it I can see what he means, but I don't think I'd trust it too far. With a 4
level code you could transmit 2 bits over a pair of wires
00
01
10
11
,which I suppose simplified means one bit per wire (yuk - not really).
I think he means "125 million times per second".
And short answer to your question, yes I think "1 bit per wire" is very
misleading. One wire can only be at a level with respect to the other wire
of the pair.

Gaz