there will probably be a ton of posts, but why not? I'm waiting for a
download to complete.

The 65xx series switches come of the shelf with a 32 gig backplane. If you
anticipate needing a bigger backplane, you must purchase a switch fabric
module ( SFM ) which then increases your backplane to 128 gig.

Ah, but here's the deal. In order take advantage of this increased
backplane, your line cards must be "fabric enabled". Otherwise they will be
able to use only the default 32 gig crossbar.

Cisco is the only major vendor that does it this way that I can figure.
Extreme and Foundry certainly don't.

so get our your wallet and get ready to shell out if you require a bigger
backplane on the 65xx product.

""kenairs""  wrote in message
> Hi Group ,
> From the cisco cd ,
>
> WS-X6816-GBIC
>                        16-port fabric-enabled Gigabit Ethernet switching
> module. The module has integrated distributed
>                        forwarding and has dual serial connections to the
> switch fabric module. The module requires GBICs. GBICs
>                        are available in three models (SX, LX/LH, and ZX)
and