OK, so I've been doing rack testing for some people who are going to be
going public Real Soon Now.

Got some things mocked up. Some of which relate to topics discussed on this
forum yesterday and today. I need to check something and issue the command
"show ip prot" enter.

r2#sh ip prot
% Ambiguous command:  "sh ip prot"
r2#

well, now...

r2#show ip prot?
protocol-discovery  protocols

r2#show ip prot

so what is "show ip protocol-discovery?

r2#sh ip protocol-discovery ?
  interface  Show for a specific interface
  protocol   Show stats about a pariticula protocol
  stats      Show Stats
  top-n      Show Top-N protocols by bytes
  |          Output modifiers

OK. so a command I've been using since 11.2 is no longer valid. except that
it is on other routers.

but look - still good on other routers:

r3#sh ip prot?
protocols

r3#sh ip prot

OK, check CCO, no record of any such command as show ip protocol-discovery
in any command reference I check. A search of CCO for the phrase reveals
nothing.

now what?

the IOS version in question is:

r2#sh ver
IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3620-JS56I-M), Version 12.1(5)T10,  RELEASE
SOFTWARE (f
c2)

sigh. have not run into this before, not in two trips through the lab, not
on any number of routers and IOS versions, both at home and in customer
installations.

Anyone got any clue what show IP protocol-discovery does?

sheesh.. another good shortcut down the tubes.

Chuck