At 10:04 AM 1/14/02, Brad Ellis wrote:
>Do both. I know quite a few CCIE's that do design work.  It's too early for
>you to go one direction (in  my opinion at least).  High level engineers
>should be able to design complex networks and take into account what is
>happening in their network.  The best way I see fit, is to understand the
>20,000 foot view as well as the 100 foot view.
>
>Maybe Priscilla can join into the thread and share her views.

OK. ;-)

Packet Loss,

I would say it depends on your career goals and your level of experience so
far. If you are somewhat new to networking, do the CCDP before you do CCIE.
That way you'll gain more contextual knowledge and wisdom that will help
you study the CCIE topics.

If you go directly to CCIE, you may find yourself learning networking
minutiae without much understanding of why it's relevant, what problems it
solves, which customers care about it, etc. For example, we hear from a lot
of newbies with picky questions about SNA access lists (because they are on
CCIE tests) who seem to have no clue how SNA works in a typical LAN/WAN
internetwork. These folks don't have a chance in hexx of passing the CCIE
tests. Studying for CCDP would help them gain some background knowledge
first, as well as help them develop important design skills.

On the other hand, if you are already an experienced network engineer, and
your career goals involve quickly getting to the top of the ladder in a
network operations role, just go straight for your CCIE. Having the CCIE
tells employers that you are a guru. With your CCIE, you will probably get
to do some design work, if that's what interests you. There's really no
need to have CCDP also.

Unfortunately, Cisco no longer has a CCIE-level design test. Some employers
will recognize that having the CCDP means that you have reached the
pinnacle of Cisco design certifications and that you have different and
additional skills from a CCIE. Most employers won't even know what CCDP
means.

On the other hand, if you don't care too much about the perceptions of
employers, and your interests definitely are design, then go for the CCDP,
regardless of whether you also go for your CCIE. The CCDP qualifies you as
being very knowledgeable about networking protocols, technologies, etc.,
and how they apply to various network environments. It just doesn't go the
next step to say that you can also very quickly configure Cisco routers to
meet the advanced requirements of rather strange and convoluted scenarios
(which the CCIE lab does). One major requirement for CCIE is speed when
configuring. Those of us who think outside the box too much, have a hard
time with this. ;-)

Priscilla

>thanks,
>-Brad Ellis
>CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)
>Network Learning Inc
>
>""Packet Loss""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Morning All,
> >
> > Stumbled upon this NG.... and feel like I have found a "gold mine". Have
>one
> > more test to go (640-506, support) to complete the CCNP.
> >
> > Struggling with... do I go Design route or CCIE route. I can see pros and
> > cons to both directions. I am curious to what direction others in my
shoes
> > have done and what techniques they used to get there, i.e., which books
>for
> > each path.
> >
> > Looking for any and all feedback to consider......
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
> >
> > Packet-Loss

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com