Chuck,

Let there be light (finally).  I couldn't get the default to propagate
because I had auto-summary turned off.  As you were trying to tell me, if
the only route in a downstream table is non-natural, it will not be flagged
as a default candidate.

By the way, if you manually summarize at the interface, or if you turn on
auto-summary for the AS, the route gets flagged as default downstream.  This
is why you must issue the 'ip default-net' for the classful network - the
'ip default-net' for a subnet only has local significance.

Many thanks to all of you who suffered through this with me.  And if you
feel that there is still something I am not getting, please leave me in
blissful ignorance (just kidding).

Regards,

Scott