One of the reasons was that the Datacenter we are in only use BGP or OSPF as
routing protocols. They use OSPF for there inside network and will only let
us use BGP4 to connect with them. We considered using RIPv2 since we only
need them to advertise the default gateway to use. It seems however they
will not use RIPv2. We don't want to use static routes becuase there are
situations when a physical connection between our and their router are up
but their router experiences a soft failure event making it unreachable. So
we are forced to use BGP4 by them even though its overkill.
Our current L3 switches support RIPv2 so hopefully we can get the ISP to use
it on our interface to send us a default route only.