While what you are saying regarding split horizon is true, I agree with
Chuck in that it was a little confusing exactly what the authors were
talking about (physical or sub).  Anyone studying for the lab exam should
pick that error up immediately, but for people that are just really starting
down this road it could create a big bump.

my $0.005

""Brian Dennis""  wrote in message
> Chuck,
> I don't think that you are totally correct here. Yes, on a frame-relay
> physical interface "ip split-horizon" is disable. But on a frame-relay
> multipoint subinterface "ip split-horizon" is enabled. In both places in
> chapter 5 where I found him referring to ip split horizon, it seems that
> he's referring to it in reference to frame-relay multipoint subinterfaces.
> So if that's the case, he is correct to say it needs to be disabled.
>
> The rule with frame-relay is:
>
> Physical interface - ip split horizon is off
> Multipoint subinterface - ip split horizon is on
> Point-to-point subinterface - ip split horizon is on
>

> Brian Dennis, CCIE #2210 (R&S)(ISP/Dial) CCSI #98640
> 5G Networks, Inc.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> ""Chuck Larrieu""  wrote in message
> > I've now browsed chapters 2-5
> >
> > Chap 2 - LAN protocols - tells you everything you were afraid to ask
about
> > the raw protocols historical tables. cable types, frame types, IEEE
> > references. Let's call this the "Priscilla" chapter ;->
> >
> > also covers bridging and switching in good detail. I read with great
> > interest the section on token ring switching, and found it to be the
best
> > guide I have seen with regards to both the theory and the practical
> > configuration of a 3920 switch. I say this with confidence because the
> > recommendations are very close to what I developed independently, using
> > Cisco documentation and the 3920 simulator which I believe NLI is now
> > selling.  Confidence because  not too long ago I was someplace where
this
> > was important, and everything worked the way it was supposed to on the
> 3920,
> > at least. superior IMHO to the very good explanation found in the
Kennedy
> > Clark book.
> >
> > Chap 3 WAN HDLC - OK
> >
> > Chap 4 WAN PPP - not too bad. concentrates on ISDN / dial. The section
on
> > PPP multilink is incredibly poor, to the point of being useless. this
> > surprised me, as there is so much detail elsewhere.
> >
> > Chap 5 - frame relay. another decent chapter. contains a HUGE error.
> states
> > that frame relay split horizon is on by default, and that you have to
> > disable it manually. not true, and the source of woe to many who find
> > themselves frustrated with certain sections of various practice labs. on
> > frame relay interface, split horizon is DISabled by default. several
CCIEs