The only way I've seen Cisco "recommend" any one version of IOS/CatOS over
another is 1) for customers with an open P1 case (that has been open for
quite a while, escalated to the Nth degree, etc.) where moving to a
different version of code would resolve particular known issues that they
are facing; or 2) paying for an NSA agreement (big $$ over and above
SmartNet).

I've also gotten several recommendations from 1st level TAC to upgrade to
the "latest and greatest" but I usually ignore these suggestions.

My current client calls this process "finding the 'least offensive' version
of code."

Doing a "bug scrub" can be quite labor-intensive and unfortunately as
Joe-Customer, I'm not able to see all of the open bugs - some are
"Cisco-internal."  I only found that out when I had an open TAC case and the
engineer referenced a bug that I couldn't pull up in the bug navigator.

Fortunately, my current client runs the "network that Noah built" - i.e. two
of everything; as such I'm usually able to upgrade one of the devices and
wait some period of time to see of anything goes wrong before upgrading the
other.  Obviously not a foolproof method...but, what can you do.

I also refrain from using code that hasn't been given time to "age" several
weeks (at a minimum); I figure the chance of a bug being known is higher on
code that is 6 weeks old  than it is on code 6 days old.  I've already
identified a few bugs for Cisco, I'm more than happy to spread this
experience to others who haven't had the opportunity.

If anyone has better ideas I'd love to hear them.

Ben