James- I'm not sure about Nortel, Lucent, or any of the other manufacturers,
but I know you can pick up a 3COM NBX off of ebay for 1/3 the price of it
brand new.  They are usually posted with different variable line cards, so
you can read the descriptions and get a little education from there as to
what you may want.  Keep in mind that E1/T1 still applies to Europe as
opposed to North America, so you would have to make sure that your
Multi-Flex trunk card on your 26xx/36xx/AS5x00 router can support that type
of trunk connection directly to the P(A)BX.  Also, keep in mind that you may
just have scenarios where you used E&M lines, so getting the appropriate
router equipment for that will serve just as well as if you were trialing
the Analogue FXS/FXO line options.

The thing to keep in mind is there are several combinations as to how you
want to "soup-bowl".

One thing to note about the 3Com NBX- it's web-administered, as compared to
some of the other P(A)BXs that are administered via one of the "admin"
version telephones, or via terminal service connection with a bunch of
cryptic commands.  While the web gui would be a crutch initially, it'll sure
help learn the XYZs a whole lot faster... of which the XYZs are going to be
fairly the same across most P(A)BX vendors... just like configuring routers
for different vendors- TCP/IP is still the same no matter how you slice it.

That's my .25 for the month.  It's all mere opinion, of which is always open
to modification based on new information :)

HTHs!

Mark Odette II