Thanks to you both. There is no NBX on UK eBay just now but I'll
keep a lookout.

A couple of other notes. I found a link on
http://www.adelheid.demon.co.uk/ispbx_d.html to some PBXs with
digital extensions, some of which are inexpensive. In particular
the Ackermann Euracom ranges. Also there is a Linux project
Asterisk, http://www.asterisk.org/main/, which seems to require
specific hardware though I'm not sure. If anyone can make sense
of this please post....

Going back to the Euracomm some of them come with an /internal/
digital ISDN interface. Does anyone understand what that is for?
Also they refer to the S0 bus. I've tried to make sense of this
too but without much success. Initially I would like to be able
to connect two router ISDN BRI S/Ts together through the PBX.
Later I would like to be able to add analogue extensions and
route between analogue and digital. And also to run a third ISDN
link to an NT1 for connection to the public phone network. I
wonder if this can be done with any of the above setups? Any
help gratefully received.

Thanks,
James

""Hire, Ejay""  wrote in message
> One more note about the NBX 100.  It is not inherently a
Voice-over-Ip
> device.  By default, It's voice over ethernet.  You have to
purchase a
> seperate liscense for voice-0ver-Ip.
>
> -Ejay

Europe as
> opposed to North America, so you would have to make sure that
your
> Multi-Flex trunk card on your 26xx/36xx/AS5x00 router can
support that type
> of trunk connection directly to the P(A)BX.  Also, keep in
mind that you may
> just have scenarios where you used E&M lines, so getting the
appropriate
> router equipment for that will serve just as well as if you
were trialing
> the Analogue FXS/FXO line options.
>
> The thing to keep in mind is there are several combinations as
to how you
> want to "soup-bowl".
>
> One thing to note about the 3Com NBX- it's web-administered,
as compared to
> some of the other P(A)BXs that are administered via one of the
"admin"
> version telephones, or via terminal service connection with a
bunch of
> cryptic commands.  While the web gui would be a crutch
initially, it'll sure
> help learn the XYZs a whole lot faster... of which the XYZs
are going to be
> fairly the same across most P(A)BX vendors... just like
configuring routers
> for different vendors- TCP/IP is still the same no matter how
you slice it.

> That's my .25 for the month.  It's all mere opinion, of which
is always open
> to modification based on new information :)
>
> HTHs!
>
> Mark Odette II

I'm
> really not sure if that's how a PBX would be provisioned. I
> guess that older PBXs would have analogue lines which would
not
> connect to my routers as I want them to, though some analogue
> mixed with the above digital would be OK. Of course, cost
would
> be a major factor but I haven't as yet seen anything for sale
> that looked like a digital telephone switch.
>
> So, that's the problem. As a starter for ten I would be
grateful
> if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks.
> - James
[EMAIL PROTECTED]