Hello Bergenpeak,

Please see some comments below......

At 11:11 AM 1/21/02, bergenpeak wrote:
>In 802.1d spanning tree, the BPDU contains a number of fields
>including the "Port ID".  THis is a two byte value where one
>octet contains a priority value and the second byte contains
>a value assigned to each port.
>
>For some of the higher density switches, (55xx, 65xx), one can
>have more then 256 ports on a switch.
>
>It looks like cisco has "extended" the 802.1d standard to allow
>for these higher density port counts by using 10 of this field's
>16 bits for port identification and 6 bits for priority.

Where did you get this info? Do you have a link? Thanks.

>What impact, if any, does this have on 802.1d operation in a
>multi-vendor environment?

It might not have any impact. I would guess that the encoding of the Port
ID (and the priority component of the Port ID) isn't relevant to
inter-switch communication. IEEE says this: "The more significant octet of
a Port Identifier is a settable priority component that permits the
relative priority of Ports on the same Bridge to be managed." So, it sounds
like IEEE thinks it's just used internally, even though it is transmitted
in Configuration BPDUs.

Think about when the Port ID actually gets used on Cisco switches. The only
time I've ever had to set the priority was when using two redundant trunk
links between switches. The priority gets used to determine which VLANs by
default are associated with each trunk on a single switch.

With ordinary STP, the Bridge ID is much more relevant. It also has a
priority component. Messing with the encoding of that would affect
multi-vendor interoperability. I don't think messing with the Port ID would
cause a problem, however.

Feel free to correct me on any of this. I didn't have time to review my STP
knowledge and STP is rather convoluted.

Priscilla

>Is the 802.1d standard being updated to address the limitation
>in the current 802.1d standard?
>
>Thanks

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com