Hi Priscilla,

My reference to cisco's apparent tweak of the "Port ID" field
in 802.1d comes from the book "Cisco Lan Switching" by K. Clark,
page 230.

Based on your comments and further review of the text, I think
I'm in agreement that this new bit slicing approach should not
cause any inconsistent behavior.  Much like you suggest, the
Port ID field is similar in use to the Root BID field.  Even with
more than 256 ports, the 16 bit "Port ID" field will be unique for
a device.  So, as long as the Port ID field is always tested as
a 16 bit quantity, and there's no expectations of uniqueness of
the "port number" octet, than all should work as expected.

Thanks