Load sharing on incoming traffic can be difficult to achieve.  It's
affected by many different factors, most of which are beyond your
control.

Would it be possible to see a sanitized version of your BGP-related
config on that router?

To figure out why incoming traffic is behaving the way it is, you need
to take a good look at the BGP path selection process.  You might simply
find that most of the people accessing your site are customers of one of
your ISPs so that is the best path.  Or, your prefixes might be getting
filtered in ways you wouldn't expect and that can affect incoming
traffic flows.  Depending on the actual problem there are a couple of
things you can do.

If possible, please send your config so we can figure out the best way
to alleviate the problem.

John

>>> "Bob Timmons"  1/23/02 12:26:00 PM >>>
Hey all, got a question, but first, the situation...

We've got 2 T1's in our NYC location that go to 2 different ISPs.
We've
moved these Ts off of their respective Cisco 2500's and onto a single
Cisco
7206vxr.  This is now our 'outside internet' router.  The ethernet
interface
goes to the Checkpoint unix box and the other side of the unix box goes
the internal network.  The internal network is using a 10.x.x.x/22
range
(2000 addresses).  We'd like to perform some load-sharing using BGP.
We've
obtained an AS number and are getting full routes from both providers.
Outbound BGP seems to work fine.  Depending on site, it takes
differnet
paths.  Inbound, however, is dominated by one T only.  We're using PAT
at
the firewall to perform address translation.  The firewall only has 1
valid
'Internet' IP address.  It's my understanding that this is why all
inbound
traffic is using only 1 provider, as opposed to both.  I'd like to
either
have 2 valid internet IP addresses at the firewall (which I'm not sure
is
even possible) or perform the PAT at the router and maybe use
access-lists
to split up the traffic.  I guess the question is, what is the best
practice
when doing this?  I'm sure that we're not the only company that wants
to do
something like this.  Do either of my solutions sound feasible?

thanks