From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Bob Timmons
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 1:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Splitting up outbound traffic for BGP [7:32983]

Hey all, got a question, but first, the situation...

We've got 2 T1's in our NYC location that go to 2 different ISPs.  We've
moved these Ts off of their respective Cisco 2500's and onto a single Cisco
7206vxr.  This is now our 'outside internet' router.  The ethernet interface
goes to the Checkpoint unix box and the other side of the unix box goes to
the internal network.  The internal network is using a 10.x.x.x/22 range
(2000 addresses).  We'd like to perform some load-sharing using BGP.  We've
obtained an AS number and are getting full routes from both providers.
Outbound BGP seems to work fine.  Depending on site, it takes differnet
paths.  Inbound, however, is dominated by one T only.  We're using PAT at
the firewall to perform address translation.  The firewall only has 1 valid
'Internet' IP address.  It's my understanding that this is why all inbound
traffic is using only 1 provider, as opposed to both.  I'd like to either
have 2 valid internet IP addresses at the firewall (which I'm not sure is
even possible) or perform the PAT at the router and maybe use access-lists
to split up the traffic.  I guess the question is, what is the best practice
when doing this?  I'm sure that we're not the only company that wants to do
something like this.  Do either of my solutions sound feasible?

thanks