In IPX your host wants to get to IPX network x and the first router to
answer the request will forward the packets.  If that router goes belly
up than the other will take over since he will answer first by default.
I'm sure others who know the intricacies more than I can give a more
elegant answer.

  Dave

--
David Madland
Sr. Network Engineer

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"