You don't need to ask your customers to change their configuration, but
you do probably need to continue to pass them fulls so you need fulls
from your upstreams.

To better control your 'backup' link:
1)To better control your outbound use local pref, but beware you might
recieve some prefixes unique to the view of the backup provider.  You'll
need to do something else to cover that up or hope the usage is in the
noise.
2)To better control your inbound you just need to use methods which will
get the backup provider to not prefer that link and thus not advertise
it to anyone else.  Your AS path prepend isn't doing the job.  Likely
they set the customer link to have a higher local pref and the traffic
you see is from the backup provider, it's customers, and probably
peers(since many set local pref on peers higher than transit providers)
of backup provider(who don't peer with other provider).  Most providers
which prefer customer links provide community structure to control
advertisements use as backup.(standard customer, customer
backup(customer with 2 links), customer fallback(if no other path is
available)).

Darrell