Tell your friends it called faith.  It's a belief in something without being
able to prove or disprove it.  And if they don't believe it, then that's
their prerogative.  (Although, with the correct amount of cash, you can get
there and see for yourself, unlike proving the existence of a greater
being/deity).  Ole Drews Jensen is right, why do they even believe the moon
exists.  Or that the earth is round or that we revolve around the sun and
not vice-versa.

The best bet in getting a telescope to see the stuff on the moon is to get a
satellite to orbit the moon, like the ones we have in orbit in earth that
can take 1 m pictures.  It's do-able and reasonably cheap in term of space
exploration.