Comments inline

At 05:31 PM 2/2/2002 -0500, Darrell Newcomb wrote:
>My subscription to the lab mailing list hasn't gone through yet so I
>figured I should post this question here.  We know that in preparation
>most folks use various products to emulate a Frame Relay switch.  Cisco
>also details the questions I have about FR, but in regards to ATM.
>http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/625/ccie/certifications/ATM_FAQs.html
>
>1)It is my understanding that in the lab any FR switch will be an
>external device not to be configured by the candidate.  Just like item 1
>in the above URL explains about ATM.  Is this correct?

Don't think I can comment beyond what Cisco posts on their site and I'm not
up to speed on what is there.

>2)Is IS-IS included in the CCIE Lab or does the removal of CLNS stated
>from
>http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/625/ccie/certifications/routing.html#43
>mean that CLNS is so far out of coverage that it can't be used as local
>L2 transport for ISIS.

IS-IS routes IP pretty well and does not require the use of CLNS.  Further,
IS-IS is directly encapsulated at layer two and does not utilize a layer
three transport mechanism such as IP or CLNS (not that is hasn't been
discussed) To answer the next common question, IS-IS does not use CLNS
PDU's, but rather steals hello's from the ES-IS (ISO 9542) spec, and uses
it's own PDU's (defined in ISO 10589) for the rest of it's operation.

Pete