As I gather together my 2001 tax year materials, I thought I'd just offer to
the group that the cost of books, classes, home lab routers, etc. MAY be tax
deductible.

there are provisions in the tax code for deducting the cost of those
training materials and classes which contribute to your ongoing ability to
perform your job.

As always, you should check with a qualified accountant to assure that you
are eligible and in compliance with the zillions of tax laws out there.

Chuck