Yes that wording, when directly compared, is a little confusing.  But you
have the right understanding.  Stub areas only summarize the AS external
routes, leaving all of the IA routes in tact.  Totally stubby areas get only
one outside route - whether IA or AS external - 0.0.0.0.

Put in different terms, I think you can say that stub areas replace type 5
LSAs with a default and totally stubby areas replace both type 5 and 3 LSAs
with with a default.  I'm not sure that 0.0.0.0 itself exactly fits any of
the LSA classifications.  Seems to be kind of a hybird type 3/5 LSA.