----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Yu"
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: Undocumented iBGP Behavior (Confirmed by Cisco) [7:34548]

> Alan,
>
> TAC engineer actually told you this is a new feature? Did you ask
him since
> when?

As I mentioned in another post, my co-worker was the one actually
doing the talking.  He didn't say it was a feature, but rather "a
change in the behavior."  To me, a new feature means that I can type
in a command, and gain some kind of advantage...  This happens all by
itself.

> BGP only tells its peers the best route it selects, this is not a
new
> feature, AFAIK.

Right...  Only routes that actually get selected and installed on a
router are eligible to be advertised to other BGP peers (Be they iBGP,
or eBGP).  That has not changed.

> If you consider your AS as one unit, it should look like this:
>
> For the routes that your AS prefers AS1,  in your router connects to
AS1,
> you will only see one ebgp path for this route, as this is the best
path
> this router is using, it will tell its ibgp peers which is the
router links
> to AS701. On the 701 router, you will see two bgp paths with the
ibgp path
> being preferred, but there is no point for this router to advertise
its ebgp
> path for this route to the first router, because the ebgp path is
not the
> best path.

All I can tell you is that it always has in the past...  That route
should sit there, ignored, in the Adj-RIB-in (you should see it in the
output of 'sh ip bgp').  That table contains _all_ of the learned
paths to a spefic network/prefix, not just the _best_ path.  The best
path is marked with ">", and is the one that gets installed into the
router's routing table, provided the router meets syncrhonization and
next-hop-reachability restrictions (which are normally addressed with
"no synchronization" and "next-hop-self").