I respectfully must enter my dissent regarding "every lawyer passes the Bar
Exam."  Actually, each state has different "pass rates" and even individual
law schools monitor their graduates "pass rates," both for "bragging rights"
as well as a recruitment tool.

Moreover, "passing the Bar Exam" has often little to do with the knowledge
gained in law school.  It DOES have a relationship to learning how to think
and analyze -- but not specific knowledge.  There are sometimes stories
(perhaps "tales") about legal secretaries who took a Bar Review course --
without attending law school -- and "passed" the Bar Exam -- but while not
implausible -- I don't have personal knowledge of such a feat!

In any event, it would seem that "networking" requires a certain "mindset"
accompanied by "logical thinking" (You can't go to step 4 without going
through steps 1, 2, and 3).  The CCIE lab exam IMHO can be successfully
accomplished with enough practice with the IOS and a reasonable
understanding of routing theory.

However, that being said, without more, even the coveted CCIE is not a
guarantee that the holder of the certification is an accomplished
internetworking "EXPERT"!!!  It merely suggests that the holder of the
certification (1) has some fundamental knowledge of theory and practice of
networking, and (2) has through discipline and determination successfully
undertaken a course of studies in networking.

While, I understand the "flames of wrath" will be forthcoming, I would
suggest to everyone that the CCIE is merely an apprentice certification --
akin to an intern or resident just out of medical school.  Certainly the
CCIE holder has a great deal of potential, and based on their success in
their studies will be a good candidate for a company to rely on.  But absent
the knowledge attained by experience in the field to supplement the
certification, it is -- by itself -- just an entry ticket into a profession.

When I graduated law school and passed the Bar Exam (back during the
American Civil War) the rules of my profession permitted me to hand out my
business card to any survivors of a plane crash in my back yard.  But
"permission" is not the same as "competency."  Surely, if I had attempted to
represent someone in such a situation, I would have been promptly disbarred
for incompetency.

Similarly, a newly minted CCIE should not seek to undertake major networking
tasks without a mentor or someone else to guide them in their initial
post-CCIE days.  In other words, being a CCIE -- without more -- does not
make someone "competent" in all aspects of networking!

Caveat:  This, of course, is only MHO!!!

Take care,

Greg Macaulay
Oldest CCNP/CCDP on Earth
Lifetime AARP member
Retired Attorney/Law Professor

Greg Macaulay
Oldest CCNP/CCDP on Earth (57 on 1/15/02)