I think the latter.  Layer 1 defines both putting 1s and 0s on the wire as
well as physical aspects of connectivity.  EIA-232 is a fair example.  It
specifies valid voltages/states to represent a 1 or a 0 but it also
specifies that TX Data is on pin 2 of a 25 ping D shell connector, etc.  If
that aint layer 1, I don't know what it is.  Maybe it is easiest to think of
everything that doesn't fit the layer two definition as defaulting to layer
1.  There may be a fallacy in that, but I think its fairly safe.

Scott