>I've read in some books that the physical layer (L1) of the OSI model deals
>with the logical functions of putting the 1's and 0's onto a wire and not
>the physical act of doing so, and I've read other books that state that the
>physical layer deals with not only putting 1's and 0's onto a wire, but also
>the mechanical make-up of a wire, the electrical voltage of a wire,
>hardware,. etc.
>
>Which is true?

The formal OSI model, as specified in ISO 7498, specifies the
interface to the medium, but not the medium itself. Remember that the
group that wrote the original document was dominated by telecom
people, who make a strong distinction between customer and provider.

In 1986 or so, I participated in meetings between ISO/CCITT and IEEE
folk, who were trying to harmonize the models.  IEEE began by sort of
indirectly specifying the medium in terms of its electrical
characteristics, and eventually started specifying the cable and
connectors. Things like Cat5 were done by different bodies such as
EIA.

By the time ISO started issuing stack specifications such as ISO
10000, the medium was included for LANs. No one ever went back,
however, and amended 7498, the way they did for connectionless
communications, routing, etc.