Just a clarification.  It is possible to have multiple subnets on
an interface and configure the DHCP server to assign IPs to any of
these scopes.  No router address flip-flopping or other machinations are
required or needed.

As has been posted, the primary IP address on the interface is *usually*
(see
details below) the giaddr placed into the DHCP packet by the relay agent
(router).
Lets assume that the interface doing the IP helpering has four subnets:
P (the
primary) and S1, S2, and S3.

On any reasonable DHCP server, one can configure the secondary subnets
be "secondaries" to the primary in the DHCP config.   So when one
configures their
DHCP server, they define the primary subnet information for P, and then
define the information for S1, S2, and S3.  One then ties these all
together
by making S1 a "secondary" of P on the DHCP server.  Ditto for S2 and
S3.  The manner in which one makes S1, S2, and S3 secondaries is DHCP
server dependent.  If you have CNR and want to make S1 a secondary to P
do the following:

1) Define the scope information for P, S1, S2, and S3.  This would
entail
defining the range of address to hand out for each scope, the policy
(DHCP
attributes, selection tags, etc.)
2) Using the GUI, select the S1 subnet, then "properties" and then the
"advanced" tab.  Half way down, there a selection box to make this scope
a secondary.  Select this box, and when you do this, you can then select
the primary for this scope.  Select P.  Note, this can also be done
using
the CLI.  I believe the attribute name is "primary-scope" (or something
close).
Using the CLI, for scope S1, set its "primary-scope" attribute to the
scope
name you defined for subnet P.

Once you;ve done this, when a packet arrives at the DHCP server with a
giaddr of
P, the DHCP server now knows that P and S1, S2, and S3 are all related.
The DHCP
server uses this, and any configurations the operator has provided
to help select the appropriate scope (subnet) and thus IP for this
device.

Doing the above is very common practice in the cable industry.  On any
CMTS cable
inteface, cable companies will have customer IPs subnets (for PCs) and
subnets
for cable modems.   CPEs will be assigned globally routeable addresses
(net24,
net12, etc). and the cable modems will be assigned net10 addresses.  The
structure
define above is used-- one of these subnets will be the primary on the
CMTS
interface and the rest will be secondaries.  All are tied together on
the DHCP
server via the "priamry-secondary" logic described above.  Cable
operators
configure the DHCP server logic to identify a DHCP request from a modem
and
map it to one of the subnet(s) on the interface created for modems.
Ditto for
PCs.

Note, above I indicated that the primary address is *usually* the
giaddr.
Two caveats to this:

* Cisco changed how the relay helpering works in some IOS revs-- in some
11.x
or 12.x revs, the giaddr can cycle through all gateway addresses
assigned on the
helpering interface.  That is, when a packet gets helpered, the router
will initially
insert the P address as the giaddr.  If the DHCP server does not
respond, and
the router has helpered 3-4 DISCOVERs on behalf of a source, the 5-8th
DHCP DISCOVER
packets will get helpered using a giaddr of S1.  This repeats 3-4 times,
and if no
DHCP response is received, S2 is used as the next giaddr.  Note, the
router maintains
the state for each source so a new device will get helpered initially
with P as the
giaddr.  (I don't recall when cisco enabled this cycling feature to be
the defualt
behavior.  I believe they changed the default behavior back to only
using "P"
as the giaddr (I don't recall the IOS rev).   However, I believe they've
added a
new know so that one can enable this "cycling" "feature" in current IOS
revs.

* On cable infrastructure gear (CMTSs), there are extra knobs to
customize what
value is inserted into the giaddr.  One can configure the CMTS to always
use
the "P" address as the giaddr or to perform the cycling (described
above).