A port can be a trunk port, an access port, or a multi-vlan port. From what
little I've read on it the goal seems to be to reach machines that have
multiple ip addresses on one interface.

Recently someone wanted to serve multiple small subnets from one port. This
might have been a workable solution.

Switch#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Switch(config)#int fa0/1
Switch(config-if)#switchport ?
  access    Set access mode characteristics of the interface
  mode      Set trunking mode of the interface
  multi     Set characteristics when in multi-VLAN mode
  priority  Set 802.1p priorities
  trunk     Set trunking characteristics of the interface

Switch(config-if)#switchport multi ?
  vlan  Set multi-VLAN mode VLANs

Switch(config-if)#switchport multi vlan ?
  LINE    VLAN IDs of VLANs to be used in multi-VLAN mode
  add     add VLANs to the current list
  remove  remove VLANs from the current list